INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship is a component under Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE), which is a flagship programme of the Department of Science and Technology (DST), under the Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India. It offers contractual research fellowships to young achievers and opportunity for independent research in the near term and emerges as a leader in future science & technology.
INSPIRE Programme for Pharmacy Professionals
1. To provide attractive opportunities to young achievers for developing independent scientific profiles and launch them towards fulfilling long-term careers.
2. To augment high-quality scientific manpower in scientific and educational institutions, especially the Central and State universities.
3. While vertical migration from the other INSPIRE components would be encouraged, faculty fellowship component also provides opportunity to meritorious candidates for lateral entry in INSPIRE scheme.
4. INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship provides an opportunity to post-doctoral fellows for carrying out independent research however does not guarantee a regular position after 5 years.
Candidates who are within top 1% in Class 12 examination, IIT-JEE rank holders, 1st rank holders either in graduation or post-graduation level university examinations.
Mode of Application
1. Eligible candidates need to submit applications ONLINE through the portal of INSPIRE programme only. No other mode of submission of the application is permitted.
2. To apply ONLINE, please visit the website : .online-inspire.gov.in and follow the process described therein. After successful submission of the application online, the candidate may obtain a printout of the application and keep it for his/her personal reference.
Method of Selection
1. The Indian National Science Academy (INSA), New Delhi, in coordination with DST, is implementing this INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme up to the stage of recommendation of candidates for INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship.
2. A three-tier selection process, viz. evaluation by discipline-based Expert Committees, followed by the recommendations of Apex Level Committee and INSPIRE Faculty Award Council. Based on the recommendations of these Committees, DST makes the final selection.
Amount and Duration of INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship
1. Each selected INSPIRE Faculty Fellow will be eligible to receive a consolidated amount of Rs.1,25,000/- per month as fellowship with annual increment of Rs.2,000/-. In addition, a Research Grant of Rs.7.0 lakh every year for 5 years will also be provided to each successful candidate including the carry-forward amount, if any, from the previous year. The consolidated amount of Rs.1,25,000/- per month is an all-inclusive fellowship and taxable as per the Indian IT Act.
2. The INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship is for a maximum period of 5 (five) years. No Fellow shall avail two fellowships concurrently during the tenure of this Fellowship period.
Terms and Conditions for Implementation
1. The date of joining the Inspire Faculty Fellowship in the host institute would be considered as date of start of Fellowship.
2. A provision exists for supporting a research staff out of the Research Grant during the Fellowship tenure of 5 years as per host institution’s guidelines. In the event of getting employment elsewhere in the country other than the Host Institute, the Fellow will also be allowed to move the research student, equipment, consumables etc., along with him/her to the new Host Institute with prior consent of both the institutions.
3. The annual Research Grant is Rs.7 lakh per year (100%) including carry-forward amount,if any from previous year. Unutilized grant of previous year shall be adjusted so that the total research grant per year remains Rs. 7 Lakh. The amount under Travel, Contingencies and Overhead Charges will be limited to 10% (i.e. Rs.70,000/- per year), 10% (i.e. Rs.70,000/- per year) and 5% (i.e.Rs.35,000/- per year) respectively.
4. Every Faculty Fellow needs to provide budget estimates with year-wise detailed break-up under various Heads such as manpower cost, consumables including chemicals, travel, contingency, overhead costs etc. and non-recurring cost such as equipment for utilization of the Research Grant to DST-INSPIRE Programme Division along with joining documents. The Fellow and the Host Institution should adhere to the approved break-up over the entire duration of 5 years.
5. In case Fellows who have joined the Indian host, institution leave/quit the Scheme pre-maturely within 6 months of his/her joining, he/she needs to forego his/her Fellowship as well as theResearch Grant amount for the said duration.
6. Fellows will be eligible to undertake visits to any international Laboratory/ University/ Institute for further exposure and training and to carry out research activities up to a maximum period of 18 months in multiple slots during the 5 years of fellowship. The application to visit countries abroad will be considered only after availing 12 months of INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship tenure and the visit should preferably to a place other than his or her Ph.D./post-doctoral place. This period will be treated as part of the Fellowship period. In the event of receiving sustenance allowance from the visiting Institute/ University/ Laboratory, the Faculty fellow may not be eligible for availing the Fellowship amount during the visit period.
7. Fellows will be required to visit the web portal for submitting the annual financial documents and Annual Progress Report to the DST-INSPIRE Programme Division. Mid-term/periodic performance evaluation will be done by national-level Expert Committees. Participation in the performance evaluation is mandatory and continuation of support to any Fellow shall depend upon the performance assessment by the Expert Committees.
8. Fellows shall administratively be governed by the prevailing rules and regulations of the Host Institution, especially regarding all types of leave and other administrative matters. There will be noseparate rules provided by DST-INSPIRE.
9. Fellows are required to take prior approval of host institution for short term visit up to 8 weeks/2months for attending conference/training/seminar/collaborative research work etc. in country or abroad and inform DST. Visits to undertake scientific work for more than 8 weeks would require prior permission from DST.
10. In case an INSPIRE Faculty, Fellow finds a permanent position during the tenure of the Fellowship, the fellowship amount shall be discontinued from the day the INSPIRE Faculty Fellow joins the permanent position, but he/she may continue with the INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship Scheme availing Research Grant for the remaining period to carry out research while occupying the new position.
11. The INSPIRE Faculty Fellow is eligible to apply for any competitive grant from various funding agencies during the tenure of the INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship.
Role and requirements of Host Institutions
1. Host institutions are expected to provide congenial atmosphere to INSPIRE Faculty Fellows to enable them to excel in their work, and should view them as potential assets for faculty development. It is desirable if the host institutes introduce new areas/directions of research through this Scheme.
2. Under no circumstances the “INSPIRE Faculty Fellowship” is renewable after 5 years. Host institutions are expected to consider the “INSPIRE Faculty Fellows” for permanent positions in due course, subject to their meeting institutional performance assessment criteria.
3. Host institutes should provide acceptable laboratory and office space (independently or on shared basis), ensure access to all common infrastructural facilities, computing facilities, library etc., to the INSPIRE Faculty Fellows. Host institutions are expected to encourage INSPIRE Faculty Fellows to publish high quality research as first/corresponding author in the list of researchers.
4. Host institutes should provide information on whether the INSPIRE Faculty Fellow will be allowed to supervise Ph.D. students, hire research fellows, independently or jointly with a permanent faculty member, while hosting the Faculty Fellows.
Duties of INSPIRE Faculty Fellow
1. Faculty Fellow is responsible for the timely submission of SE/UC and prudent expenditure of their research grant as per the GFR rules.
2. Faculty fellows are expected to complete the research objectives and to remain focused from the beginning to establish themselves as domain experts by good quality publications and network collaborations.
3. Faculty Fellows are advised to develop and maintain a good rapport with the host institute.
4. DST should be updated regarding the Research progress made including the publications during Faculty fellowship tenure. 5. The INSPIRE Faculty Fellow must acknowledge the support provided by DST in all the publication(s)/patent(s) and Ph.D. Thesis of their students.
Last date for making online applications is 15th August 2022.
See All Other Jobs in our Database